Latin American food is definitely one of my guilty pleasures! Anyone who knows me knows that queso is one of my favorite foods (especially after I have a drink or two in me…!), and I love a good taco. The problem with going out to a restaurant for Latin American food is that I typically gorge myself with queso, chips, margs and more and then I’m left feeling quite unhealthy. So that’s where this dish comes in!
Here is my recipe for probably-not-super-authentic-but-at-least-they’re-tasty-and-healthy Crockpot Cilantro Chicken Tacos!
Crockpot Cilantro Chicken Tacos
Yield: about 6 tacos
What You’ll Need:
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 lbs. of chicken breast
- 16 oz. jar of salsa of choice
- 10 oz. can of diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 of an onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Juice of 2 limes
- Optional toppings: avocado, shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt, etc!
What You’ll Do:
- Place chicken, salsa, diced tomatoes & chilies, taco seasoning, cilantro, onion, garlic and lime juice in a crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Use two forks to pull apart the chicken. Using a slotted spoon (the mixture will be a little soupy), place the mixture inside your tortillas and top them as you please!
It does not get any easier than a crockpot meal! This dish is bursting with flavor, and it will leave you feeling healthy and with your cravings satisfied. Give it a try tonight and let’s taco ’bout it later (;