Since I am only cooking for myself the majority of the time, I like to make recipes that I know will freeze nicely. That way, I can just go ahead and freeze half of whatever I make. Today’s freezer-friendly recipe: stuffed peppers! Quick, easy, healthy and yummy–you can’t go wrong with this one.
Yield: 4 servings
What You’ll Need:
- 1 1/2 lb. of ground beef
- 1 1/2 cup of cooked rice of choice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 bell peppers
- 2 tsp. of Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp. of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Between 1/2 cup and 1 cup of marinara sauce, depending on your preference
- A few tablespoons of olive oil
- Cheese of choice for topping–optional
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan, and add minced garlic and diced onion. Sauté for about a minute, then add beef.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to your beef mixture and cook for about 6 minutes, or until beef is properly browned.
- While your beef is cooking, prepare your bell peppers. Cut a circle in the top of the peppers to remove the tops and seeds, and shave off the rounded bottoms of the peppers (if necessary) so the peppers can stand upright on their own in a baking dish.
- Once your beef mixture is finished cooking, use a slotted spoon to transfer to a large bowl. Add cooked rice and marinara sauce, and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Note–I don’t like my stuffed peppers drenched in sauce, so I used about a 1/2 cup of marinara sauce. Use more if you like saucier peppers.
- Fill your peppers with the beef and rice mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until peppers are tender and cooked through.
- Top with a little cheese of choice, if you’d like, and enjoy!
To freeze, let the peppers cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap, and then put in a Ziploc bag. Easy peasy, and perfect for reheating for a single meal!