Chicken parmesan is one of Cody’s favorite meals, and this recipe is killer! Before you start to make this recipe, make some spaghetti sauce first–I promise it is worth it to make it homemade!
Yield: about 4 servings
What You’ll Need:
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, or about 3-4 breasts
- 3 eggs
- Splash of milk
- 1 cup of Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1/2 tbsp. of parsley
- 1/2 tsp. of oregano
- 1 tbsp. of Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups of spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb. of spaghetti (or pasta of choice), cooked
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut any visible fat off of your chicken breasts, and then pound them thin.
- In one bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. In a second bowl, mix together breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, oregano, Italian seasoning, fresh basil, salt and pepper.
- Dredge a chicken breast in the egg mixture, then transfer to the second bowl and coat the breast thoroughly with the breadcrumb mixture. Dredge in the egg mixture again, and then re-coat the breast in the breadcrumb mixture. Set aside.
- Repeat step 3 with your remaining chicken breasts.
- Mince 2 of your garlic cloves and heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add your chicken to the pan and cook on each side for about 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Make sure you do not overcrowd the pan in order to allow for even cooking.
- Spray the bottom of a baking dish with cooking spray, then spread about a cup and a half of your sauce over top. Mince your remaining 3 garlic cloves and sprinkle evenly overtop of the sauce.
- Place your cooked chicken breasts on top of the sauce, making sure that the breasts do not overlap. Then, pour the remaining cup and a half of sauce on top.
- Bake on the bottom rack at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Then, pull the dish out of the oven and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Ideally, each of the chicken breasts will be covered in cheese. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked pasta with extra parmesan cheese on top!