Looking to deviate a bit from your ordinary spaghetti dishes? Look no further–I present you with a most delicious red clam sauce recipe! This sauce is quick, easy and tasty enough that you will never reach for a jarred sauce again.
This recipe is a variation on a dish my grandma makes a lot. And anyone who knows my gram knows she is a FABULOUS cook! So prepare yourselves to be let in on a family gem!
Red Clam Sauce
Yield: about 4 servings
What You’ll Need:
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz can of whole plum tomatoes
- 1/3 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp of parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup of dry red wine
- 10 oz can of whole baby clams
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound of pasta to choice, cooked
- Parmesan cheese for topping
What You’ll Do:
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or stockpot and add garlic. Sauté for about 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Add plum tomatoes to the skillet, crushing with your hands as you go.
- Add your fresh basil, bay leaf, parsley, oregano, red pepper and red wine. Simmer over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add clams–juice and all!–to the sauce and simmer for about 15 more minutes, stirring often. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over your favorite pasta, and top with lots of fresh parmesan cheese!
Ah, I just love this dish. It’s got just a hint of seafood flavor, a little bit of heat, and reminds me of my childhood. Try it out, and let me know what you think!!