It’s finally starting to feel like summertime here in North Carolina! The arrival of warm weather brings all sorts of fun things with it: beach trips, pool days, grilling out and tons of fresh, yummy fruit!
We had family over yesterday to celebrate all of our amazing mothers and one of my tasks was to make a summer dessert. So, I made my favorite summer dessert–blackberry pie. I love blackberries and I loooove blackberry pie!! Served warm or cold, with vanilla ice cream on top or without…you can’t go wrong with this delicious pie.
I don’t really consider myself to be gifted in the baking department (I boast about a 50% success rate whenever I bake a new recipe), so do you want to know the best part about this recipe? This sweet pie couldn’t be any easier to make.
Yield: 8-10 servings
What You’ll Need:
- 4 cups of fresh, ripe blackberries
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- juice of 1 lemon–about 1/4 of a cup
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 egg
- additional 1/4 cup of white sugar
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place 3 1/2 cups of blackberries, 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and the juice of one lemon in a large bowl. Use a wooden spoon to gently combine all ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture into an unbaked pie shell. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of berries on top of the mixture.
- Cut your second pie crust into 1-inch strips and place over top of the filling, creating a lattice pattern.
- Beat your egg and brush it over the top crust. Sprinkle your remaining 1/4 cup of sugar over top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Then, reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly!
Like I said before, this pie is delicious served warm or cold, with ice cream and whipped cream on top or without! This is a perfect summertime treat! Try it out and let me know what you think.