Red wine and pasta. Two of the things I love most in life. There must be people out there who agree with me, because it recently came to my attention that some avant-garde chefs are cooking their pasta in red wine. I would personally like to thank the geniuses who first decided to try this and post it on the internet.
It was only a matter of time before I tried my hand at red wine pasta, and I was quite pleased with the results! It’s a quick, low-effort meal (making it perfect for last-minute weeknight dinners) and it is super flavorful. So for all you wine lovers out there, here is my take on the dish: one-pot red wine pasta (because one-pot dishes are another one of my favorite things)!!
One-Pot Red Wine Pasta
Yield: about 6 servings
What You’ll Need:
- 1 lb. of pasta of choice (I used angel hair, but I think linguine or fettucine would be delicious as well!)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 cups of dry red wine
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon or oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for topping
What You’ll Do:
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot, then add the diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté for about three minutes, or until onion becomes translucent.
- Add vegetable stock, wine, water, herbs and spices to the pot, and stir to mix all ingredients together.
- Add the pasta to the pot, stirring again, then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook according to pasta directions, or until most of the liquid has boiled off. With about two minutes of cook time left, add the Parmesan and stir.
- Serve warm, with plenty of Parmesan cheese to top it off…and with another glass of wine!
Very wine-y. Very yummy. Very perfect way to relax after a stressful day. It was great as is, but I also think it would add a great depth flavor to a marinara or Alfredo dish. Give it a try, and let me know what you think!! Happy Friday friends!