As a born and bred Raleighite, I don’t do snow. In fact, no one around here does–our collective inability to handle snow gained national attention a few years back.
In our defense, we typically get more ice than snow, and I don’t care what kind of car you drive, where you’re from, or who you are–driving on ice is just a bad idea. So in an effort to refrain from ever getting into a situation like the one pictured above, I simply refuse to drive in any sort of winter precipitation. I like my car too much.
ANYWAYS, all of that rambling was to say that I am all iced in today and craving some cozy food. What could be better on an icy and cold winter day than Chicken Noodle Soup?! Here’s my take on the classic comfort food!
Quick & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
Yield: about 8 hearty servings
What You’ll Need:
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 stalks of celery, sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups (64 oz) of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons of fresh, flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- about 2 cups of cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 lb. of egg noodles
What You’ll Do:
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and sauté for about 8 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add chicken broth, wine, bay leaves and oregano, and bring mixture to a boil. Boil gently for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken, fresh thyme, fresh parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- At this point, you can either add the egg noodles right to the soup and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until tender, or cook the noodles separately. I prefer to cook and store the noodles separately so they don’t get soggy when reheating leftovers!
And that is it! Soup making doesn’t have to be an all-day affair. I hope everyone stays safe, warm and cozy with this easy Chicken Noodle Soup!!